Yoga Sutras of Patanjali Study Group
Part 1: Samadhi Pada verse by verse
An online study group exploring part 1 of the Yoga Sutras over 7 weekly 90 minute sessions, starting on 5th May.
Many yoga teachers will have been given an overview of the Yoga Sutras in their YTT, but there’s so much more to discover when you explore this ancient text in depth, one sutra (verse) at a time.
This group is intended for anyone who is ready to understand the teachings at the heart of yoga through study, self-inquiry, practice and direct experience.
The sessions will focus on the first section of Patanjali – Samadhi Pada. Themes covered include:
- What is the state of Yoga
- How we identify with our thoughts, or vritti, the ‘waves of the mind’
- The 5 kinds of vritti, or thoughts, that we all experience
- How to de-identify from—or come to know that you are not—your thoughts through abhyasa (practice) and vairagya (detachment)
- The states of mind to be cultivated to help gain the experience of samadhi, or Oneness
- The nature of Purusha, your own divine essence
- The meaning of Om and how it can be used to bring you back to your divinity
- The 9 mental distractions that prevent you from realising your divinity and the physical symptoms that accompany these distractions
- The specific practices to be used to calm these mental distractions
- The different levels of samadhi in meditation
- How the knowledge that arises through meditation and yoga practice is different from knowledge that is learned or deduced through our intellects
- Self-realisation, the vision of Oneness
Each class will end with a short guided meditation.
There are 51 verses in part 1 of the Yoga Sutras. We will aim to cover approximately 7 verses per class.